Tender Care for Kids
Where Nurturing and Learning Go Hand in Hand
Call us: 909-793-4885
525 N Dearborn St, Redlands, CA 92374 | info@tendercareforkids.com

FAQ's in Redlands, California


Does the Americans with Disabilities Act -- or "ADA" -- apply to child care centers?

Yes. Privately-run child care centers -- like other public accommodations such as private schools, recreation centers, restaurants, hotels, movie theaters, and banks -- must comply with title III of the ADA. Child care services provided by government agencies, such as Head Start, summer programs, and extended school day programs, must comply with title II of the ADA. Both titles apply to a child care center's interactions with the children, parents, guardians, and potential customers that it serves.

Which child care centers are covered by title III?

Almost all child care providers, regardless of size or number of employees, must comply with title III of the ADA. Even small, home-based centers that may not have to follow some State laws are covered by title III.

What about children whose presence is dangerous to others? Do we have to take them, too?No.

Children who pose a direct threat -- a substantial risk of serious harm to the health and safety of others -- do not have to be admitted into a program. The determination that a child poses a direct threat may not be based on generalizations or stereotypes about the effects of a particular disability; it must be based on an individualized assessment that considers the particular activity and the actual abilities and disabilities of the individual.

In order to find out whether a child has a medical condition that poses a significant health threat to others, child care providers may ask all applicants whether a child has any diseases that are communicable through the types of incidental contact expected to occur in child care settings. Providers may also inquire about specific conditions, such as active infectious tuberculosis, that in fact pose a direct threat.

What is the enrollment process?

Families are first required to submit a Pre-Enrollment Form. Please contact our office for more information about the enrollment process.